Thursday 5 March 2009

Bak Face!

SUCCESS: Yeeeaaahhh! With the help of Lewis and Magic D. Shuffle I was able to get the face done. In the begining I only had the sphere with a nose and I had little idea on how to approach everything else. Plus my Maya on PC is not as efficient as the Maya here and I also had some display issues, such as the perspective camera getting the the way. However when I came in today Dan managed to help me out, God bless. But anyways onto the methods.

Method 1: First Lewis helped me out by starting with the eyes, though we had to shape the nose a bit more first, but before that he cut the left side of the head first since it would be mirrored (never thought of that) and started withe the eye socket. He went into faces mode and created the socket in the shape of a rectangle and cutted out the middle bit. Next we inserted the eyes and posistion it so that the socket would wrap around the eyeball, it was achieved by moving the vertices. Next we did the brow with the help of the edge loop tool and extended it outwards. After that we did the mouth and lengthened the nose, since it was quite a long way from the mouth. Afterwards I needed to shape the head more rectangular like because it was too round, the back of the head was a bit tricky and long, I had to make the head line up with the back of the neck. Next I did the front and side of the head.

Method 2: Next was the hair, to make sure it had volume Lewis suggested a cube, flattened and extended lengthways. He then then showed me how to wrap it around the head. Afterwards it was a matter of pulling vertices coupled with the edge loop tool and make the points straight in order for it to be mirrored. Now....mirroring the hair was easy but the head was a problem, the head mashed up itself even though the vertices were straight. After numerous attempts changing options etc. Dan helped me to rectify the problem, even he didn't know what was wrong but with some changes in the mirror options he did it, although it required me going to each each middle vertices and merging, front and back. Oh yeah had to do the same for the hair too. -__-

CONCLUSION: This turned out to be a pretty good day considereing the help I had. I learned some things along the way that will no doubt help me in the future. It's just a shame about that nurbs modelling that I did, turned out pointless in the end but not completely, like I said I learned some things heh. But yeah both my models are more or less finished all that's left is the texturing, I'm thinking something cartoony. So...stay tuned for my next post just over a week to go eeep! O__O



1 comment: